A migrant worker from Giridih in Jharkhand died after allegedly being caught in a shootout between criminals and police in Saudi Arabia, with his body returning to India 120 days after the incident.
The deceased, Vijay Kumar Mahto, 27, had been working on a power transmission project in Saudi Arabia. According to his family, he was shot on October 15 while on a delivery assignment when a gunfight broke out between police and criminals. He later succumbed to his injuries.
His body reached Ranchi Airport months later, triggering grief and anger in his native village in Dumri block. Family members initially refused to receive the body, demanding clarity on compensation and accountability from the employer.
Speaking to Aaj Tak, his wife Basanti Devi said the couple has two young sons aged seven and five and no stable income source. She said Vijay had gone abroad in 2023 for work through a private contractor and had returned home once before rejoining duty on December 31, 2024.
Vijay’s father Surya Narayan Mahto said the family was struggling to cope and questioned who would support the children and his disabled wife. He alleged that the employer has not contacted the family after the incident and demanded compensation before accepting the body.
Giridih Deputy Commissioner Ramnivas Yadav said that under government provisions, families of deceased migrant workers are eligible for Rs 5 lakh assistance if they submit an application. Officials added that compensation from the employer would depend on processes involving the UAE Consulate General and the company concerned.
The incident has sparked anger among villagers and local leaders, who say workers from Jharkhand frequently migrate to Gulf countries for employment in infrastructure and power projects due to lack of jobs at home. They have warned of protests if adequate compensation and support are not ensured for the bereaved family.
– Ends
Published By:
Zafar Zaidi
Published On:
Feb 16, 2026



