Gabon suspends access to social media as critics accuse its leader of crackdown on dissent

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo. Aliquam non leo id magna vulputate dapibus. Curabitur a porta metus. In viverra ipsum nec vehicula pharetra. Proin egestas nulla velit, id faucibus mi ultrices et.


LIBREVILLE, Gabon — LIBREVILLE, Gabon (AP) — Gabon has suspended access to social media and digital platforms throughout the central African nation until further notice, the authorities said as critics accuse the country’s leader of crackdown on dissent.

The communications agency said it had observed on social media and digital platforms what it described as inappropriate, defamatory, hateful and insulting content that undermines human dignity, the country’s institutions and national security.

The agency’s statement added that this constitutes offenses punishable under national and international laws, as well as under policies on moderation adopted by major digital platforms.

“The High Authority for Communication has decided to immediately suspend social media throughout Gabon until further notice,” Jean Claude Franck Mendome, the spokesperson for the agency, known as High Authority for Communication, said in a statement that was read out on national media on Tuesday evening.

Social media platforms — including Meta and TikTok — were severely impacted on Wednesday. The two, along with WhatsApp, the messaging service owned by Meta, are the most widely used by Gabonese citizens. WhatsApp calls were also experiencing significant disruptions on Wednesday.

The country’s leader, Gen. Brice Clotaire Oligui Nguema had toppled President Ali Bongo Ondimba, who was accused of irresponsible governance.

Last year, Oligui Nguema won the presidential election, raising hopes for a return to constitutional democracy. However, critics say he has been increasingly clamping down on critical voices, targeting independent media and trade unionists. A journalist and two trade unionists were imprisoned last year.



Source link

Tags :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

About Us

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Top categories

Tags

Blazethemes @2024. All Rights Reserved.